Thursday, June 28, 2012

Avocado, Dill and Radish Salad with Portabella Mushrooms

The only thing that I really set out to make was the Avocado, Dill and Radish salad; the mushrooms were supposed to be just an added delight.  However, the mushrooms ended up sucking and I ended up throwing it away. Red wine and spices DO NOT make a portabella taste anything like a steak!  Next marinade to try is a Worchestershire and herb combination.  BOOO!  This mushroom really made me feel like I need to stop trying to make something taste like a steak and just eat a big ole juicy steak. 

What I set out to make, Avocado, Dill and Radish Salad, turned out Fabulous.  I made my own mayo which involved cashews, lemon juice, dry mustard, salt and pepper all blended smooth. 

I mashed up 3 avocados and pulled some fresh dill from my garden that the caterpillars have not yet eaten but had to use fresh store bought parsley because for some unbeknownst reason, my parsley did not want to grow.  I then cubed a bunch of organic radishes, sliced up 3 scallions and 2 sticks of celery.  I added a 1/2 cup of my mayo to the avocado mash and then mixed all the ingredients together.  The recipe didn't call for garlic but it was missing something so I added garlic to it.  I placed it in the fridge to chill out for about 1.5 hours while I started my fire and watered my garden.

I love to grill and even though there is a heat advisory out and a high risk of wild fires starting due to the lack of rain. I loaded my grill with charcoal and firewood. 

Once I got done being all outdoorsy, I put the mushrooms and asparagus on the grill to cook.  Ohhhhhh, I was getting excited and the anticipation was relentless. 

Typically, I would stay out by the fire all night and just watch the fire and perhaps even take a little dip in the pool but this girl had things to do. 

I plated the Avocado, Dill and Radish Salad over baby greens and added the mushroom and asparagus to the side. 


Avocado, Dill and Radish Sandwich

As I said, the mushrooms tasted like crap but the asparagus and Avocado Salad were delightful.  In fact, I brought the avocado salad with me for lunch and will make a yummy sandwich.  I do plan on adding alfalfa sprouts and perhaps a slice of tomato on top.  MMMM MMMM MMMM...!

This recipe really doesn't have a rating or a Vegan yes or No because this meal started out being Vegan and was always intended to be vegan.

8 Avocados up for the Avocado, Dill and Radish salad but a giant garbage can for the portabellas.  (I'm sure the marinade will make all the difference.  If the marinade had been different, then the mushrooms would've been delightful.)

Saturday is Vegan Pizza day where I will be trying to create my Favorite Dewey's Pizza but in a vegan styling.  This means making my own goat cheese and making my own pesto.  Watch out Green Lantern, there's something lighter coming your way!  Stay Tuned!

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment