Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Everything Pizza


Let me start by saying that 9 times out of 10 you will find me in the kitchen cooking something up.  I prefer to cook than to eat out.  Not only can eating out get expensive but there’s not a lot of variety out there for Vegans.  So, this weekend was not unusual for me to be sweating away in my 95 degree kitchen (I really need to get AC).



Pepperoni is a huge favorite of mine and I have been missing it so I bought some fake “pepperoni” and was quite pleased.I was craving pizza, since that’s one of my all time favorite meals and I didn’t feel like driving to Dewey’s or Mellow Mushroom so I decided that I would make my own.




The first step in the process was to make my spaghetti sauce which consisted of crushed tomatoes, herbs and spices.  While that was simmering I grabbed my bowls, flour, yeast and spices and began to construct the crust.  Since my herb garden is finally becoming very abundant, I clipped off a few oregano, basil and dill leaves and mixed it in with my dough.  The dough process only took about 20 minutes to set-up.  I was feeling a little bit of everything so I chose for my toppings- Avocado, green peppers, red peppers, artichoke hearts, garlic cloves, pineapple, fresh spinach, mushrooms and fake “pepperoni”,   As you can see by the picture, it looks mighty tasty.



Next in the process was to roll the dough to form the crust.  Once patted down on a pizza sheet, I added a thin layer of sauce and then my toppings.  I decided that I was going to make some “feta” cheese in which ended up delightful as well.  Feta is simple to make by using one package of firm tofu.  Crumble, add red wine vinegar and herbs and mix; Breaking the tofu into little chunks.  I added this to the top of the pizza and finished with daiya mozzarella “cheese”.  I brushed the crust with garlic “butter” and stuck in the oven until the crust was golden brown.  (about ½ hour)  It was delicious!  I served with a side of sauce for dipping the crust and enjoyed 3 slices.




My non-vegan friend said it was a taste sensation!



11 out 0f 11 Veggies on this one, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment