Thursday, June 21, 2012

Vegan Dixie Chili Dogs

Sometimes you just get that craving for some Dixie Chili Dogs (Coney’s)!  At least I do!  A lot of you will say that Skyline is the best chili and I will wholeheartedly disagree!  Quite honestly, I can’t stand Skyline, however, I know many people do, including my girlfriend and in which she has corrected me in stating that she prefers Gold Star.  Anyhoo…  Yesterday was one of those days in which I was having that craving.  So, I decided I was going to make Chili Dogs for dinner.  Yes, it was about 100 degrees in my kitchen and after I physically removed about 200 pounds of dirt from my yard, I came in to make dinner.  Not after, however, guzzling about a gallon of water.  It’s important to stay hydrated in this nasty weather.  I’ll be glad when the pool is up and functional. 

Oh yeah, back to the veganization….

First, I couldn’t eat the actual Dixie Chili because it’s not vegan as I’m sure you are very much aware.  However, Vegan Chili is actually really simple to make.  It’s all about the spices, as in everything else.  I took about a cup of water and put it in a pan, added ½ bag of Boca Grounds and my chili powder, a touch of red pepper powder, a touch of cayenne pepper powder, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano and let simmer for about 35 minutes.  I also added some fresh diced onion.  Upon first taste of the chili, I had recreated a Vegan Dixie Chili and had a very hard time stopping myself from dipping into it each time I went into the kitchen!!!!! 
 

Now you are asking what I used for the actual “Hot Dogs”.  Well, I'm going to tell you.  I trusted my friends of Light Life and bought a package of 5 super Smart Dogs.  At first they seem to have a similarity to a bit of rubber but that quickly goes away as you realize just how close they have gotten to achieving the real taste of a “Hot Dog”!  At this point in our lives, we should all know what real hot dogs are made out of… NO THANK YOU!!!!  You actually cook these “dogs” just as you would regular dogs.  Boil for about 15 minutes and put on your prepared bun.  I like a layer of mustard, then my “dog”, then the “chili” and then the diced onion and to top, I used Daiya pepperjack cheese!


Vegan Yes or Vegan No?  A Definite VEGAN YES!!!
Oh, and my tester, who is not vegan, couldn’t tell the difference at all!

For a super quick and super easy recipe, it’s a 10 out of 10 thumbs up for me.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment