Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Steak" and Potatoes

I used to be a steak and potato kind of a girl and at every chance I would get, I would be grilling out a nice juicy steak; and it really does sound delicious to me right now but I’m moving toward a more vegan lifestyle.  So I set out to find something that tastes like steak or something that I could make taste like steak.



If you read my last blog, you know that my attempt at Seitan, regardless of how much it was enjoyed by others, was way below my expectations.  However, to a true vegan, apparently it tasted a lot like what I had set out to do.



Sunday was a busy cooking day for me.  It was father’s day and the family was getting together for a grill out. Dad requested that I make some sushi so since it was his day, I did!  I ended up getting 10 rolls out of the batch and was able to share the leftovers with the one person who absolutely can’t get enough of my sushi.



The family was grilling out Hamburgers, Metts and Brats.  I didn’t want a veggie burger or a “fake” hot dog!  I wanted STEAK!  So, instead of giving into the craving, I made Grilled Portabella Mushrooms, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Grilled Asparagus with a mushroom gravy drizzled on top.



First, I gathered my ingredients and marinated the Portabella’s in Liquid Amino’s, Garlic, Oregano, Pepper and a dish of melted Earth Balance whipped “butter”. 
 I cut three diagonal slices (not deep) in the top of the mushrooms in order for them to soak up the marinade.  After about a ½ hour of marinating, it was time to throw them on the grill.  I grilled for about 15 minutes on medium heat and they were perfect.  We made a mushroom gravy with the remaining marinade and added a few slices of white mushrooms.



I plated the dish with a scoop of garlic mashed potatoes, then the portabella on top and then another dab of potatoes on top.  Gave a ladle full of gravy atop everything and added the asparagus on top.  I had a tomato slice as a side but the girl endulged in a salad that my brother had chopped up.   It was a heavenly meal.  Next time, however, less salt and perhaps a different marinade but I was looking for that steak taste and as my family could attest, “OMG, it tastes like steak!”









I give this meal 9 out of 10 mushrooms simply for the amount of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment