Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Vegan "Chicken" Quesadilla with Homemade Pico

Recently, I have noticed that the majority of my day is spent thinking about what I'm going to eat for dinner and to some people this is quite annoying but I don't like to get home from work and not know what I'm going to be having for dinner.  Yesterday was not an exception.  I stewed over this for quite some time and finally decided that what I was craving was a quesadilla.  Now, it would've been easier for me to have just gone to some mexican restaurant and picked up a non-vegan chicken quesadilla but I wanted it vegan.  So, you guessed it... Kroger had a visit from me after work. 

I was a little concerned with how it would turn out simply because the daiya cheddar doesn't seem to really melt like regular cheese.  Imagine that!!!!  It's not real cheese so why would it melt as such? 

The first call to order was to dice up the Light Life Chicken and simmer in no-chicken chicken broth for about 15 minutes.  While this was in the making it was time to make the pico just perfect.  The last time I tried it, it was not as tasty as I would've liked so I tried again.  When you crave pico you want it to be just right.  I diced up 2 tomatoes, 1 tomatilla, 1/2 white onion and a heaping of cilantro.  I added these ingredients to a medium sized bowl and added a few shakes of lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper.  It was now time to try the pico...  I got my trusty bag of scoopables and dove in.  MMMM MMMM MMMMM Good!  It was perfect.  Unfortuately, the pictures that I tried taking of them were just not doing it justice so you will just have to take my word for it.  :-)

Next in the process was to move on to the guacamole.  I was never a huge fan of guacamole since I didn't really know much about it.  I hadn't really started into avocados and never was really interested in doing so.  Recently, however, I have grown to love that buttery fruit.  So much so, I usually have at least a few slices on my sandwich everyday.  Anyway, I mashed up 1/2 an avocado and added some diced tomoato and voila!  Guacamole.  Into the fridge that and the pico went to chill out for a bit while I contstructed my quesadilla. 

I sprayed my pan with PAM cooking spray and let that heat up for about 10 minutes.  In the meantime, I diced up some more tomatoes, green onion and a jalepeno slice to add to the inside of my quesadilla. 

It was now time to add the tortilla to the pan and add the daiya and the other ingredients.  I, also, added a few shakes of chili powder because I like my stuff hot!  Keep in mind that when you are making a quesadilla, you only put your ingredients on 1 half of the tortilla as you will be folding the other half over to cover.  I covered the pan and let brown on each side.  To my satisfaction, the daiya melted perfectly... 

So to plate this meal, I shredded some lettuce, put a scoop of guacamole, a scoop of pico and a scoop of Tofutti Vegan Sour Cream! 

It was so delicious and a defintie VEGAN YES!

This one gets 10 out of 10 cilantro leaves!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment