Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Vegan "Chicken" Parmesean with Spinach and Avocado Salad!

You must be thinking that all I do is cook!  When it's something that you love to do, it's so easy to just do it.  Like I've said in prior posts, I'd rather create a wonderful meal than have someone cook for me at a restaurant.  Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind going out to dinner on occassion but I like to test myself to see if I can create that wonderful, succulent meal! 

Friday night was girls night for my girl so I set out to create one of my most favorite meals.  This meal is one that I get requests to make on a regular basis.  Chicken Parmesean with Bow Tie Pasta.  Now, as you know, this is going to be the Vegan version of this meal. 

First was to make the salad in which I threw together some baby spinach, avocados, mushrooms, black olives and diced onions.  I added some yellow squash and zucchini, homemade "feta cheese", added my spices and made my dressing which consisted of oil and Apple Cider Vinegar.  YUM!





 
I had some Gardein Scallopini in the fridge so I cooked a couple of those up in some no-chicken chicken broth and added some fresh herbs which included Basil, Thyme, Dill and Oregano.  After they cooked for about 15 minutes to soak up the flavor I added them to my baking pan. 

I started by preheating my oven to 325 and moved on to making my pasta sauce.  I added crushed tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and let simmer for about 1/2 hour.

Once the sauce was heated through and the oven was preheated, I covered the "chicken" breasts with my sauce and added daiya mozzerella and vegan parmesean to the top and put it in the oven for 1/2 hour. 

I plated with bow tie pasta and enjoyed this Vegan version of one of my favorite meals.  However, on a scale of 1 to 10... This only gets about a 7 because it just wasn't the same!  But it is a healthy and cruelty free way to enjoy this meal. 


Vegan Yes or Vegan No????  Eh, Vegan Maybe!



Stay tuned for this weeks Date Nite Veganization where we grill Portabella Mushrooms and I am making an avocado/dill salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment