Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Blog 4- Recipe #3 Yakitori


In no way, shape or form am I any part Japanese.  I wanted to get that out of the way before I continue with this blog.  The girl and I set out this weekend to become a slight bit Japanese. 

For her blog, she veganized California rolls (sushi) and for me, since sushi just wasn’t enough for dinner, I set out to do Yakitori.  Yakitori is grilled chicken on speared sticks with leeks or green onions. 

After we got finished tasting and devouring the Sushi that we  had made, it was now time for me to Veganize this dish.  I rolled up my sleeves, put my apron and chef’s hat on and began my quest for the ultimate VEGAN YAKITORI- (mind you, I had no idea what it was until I was challenged with this recipe).

Of course, since the recipe is mainly focused around Chicken, I had to improvise.  And this was, really the only thing that I had to veganize.  I reverted back to my trusty Light Life “Chicken Strips but I tend to think it may have been a tad bit better with seitan.  I’ll try that, certainly, next time. 

The sauce called for a combination of soy sauce (liquid aminos), mirin or sake, sugar, honey or maple syrup and small wooden spears.  Since we already had an abundance of rice, we decided to make chow mein (thanks to the girlfriend) to be the side to our Japanese dish. 

After mixing the soy sauce, sugar, maple syrup and sake, I then put the mixture in a pot and heated.  After this was heated through, I added the chicken strips and let sit for a while, until all strips were soaked.  Once this was completed, I added the strips to the spears and alternated between the strips and the green onions.  I opted not to grill because it’s just too long of a process for just a few spears.  Into the oven they went and we relaxed for a few moments.  We plated the final product and as you can see... quite tasty.  However, I believe that there is much room for improvement on this recipe.






 I have fallen in love with making sushi so the next morning, we ran up to Kroger and purchased more Sushi making items.  My goal was to perfect the sushi roll.  Sushi takes a while to make simply due to the sticky rice and if you don’t have patience, then you might as well not even try.  My sushi rolls consisted of avocado, carrots and cucumber and I set out to make Crab stuffed sushi which had imitation crab (which is chock full of a variety of fish), avocado, carrots and cucumber.  They were a huge success and out of 4 veggie rolls and 1 crab roll, I have 6 veggie and 1/3 of the crab left.  Serve with a side of wasabi, pickled ginger and liquid aminos for dipping.  Liquid Aminos is a natural version of soy sauce and contains a lot less sodium.  I do prefer the aminos over soy sauce. 










I couldn’t call my blog “Vegan or Not” if I wasn’t going to make the actually non-vegan meals so last evening, I set out to make the real chicken version of the Yakitori and instead of chow mein, I made Thai noodles with Thai spice, topped with chives and served with the sauce from the chicken.  One word summed up the tasty treat and that was “Splediforous!” coined from my roommates stuffed mouth.  I, too, had to try the chicken for I don’t want to lie to my readers if I haven’t actually tasted the dish.  But, I only tried one chunk of the chicken and it was mouth watering delicious. 

I, also, have to confess that I have brought in a batch of the sushi because it’s so good and if I had any co-workers, I would let them try it.  But, for now, I get to enjoy these wonderful veggie rolls all by myself.  I can, truly, say that they are yummy!

So my Vegan or Not Friends… another success in my pocket and another challenge awaits me. 

For our Wednesday night date night, it is time for me to veganize my famous spinach lasagna. I am looking forward to this challenge.

I turned Japanese for a few days but now it’s back to comfort and soul food.  Anyone who has tried my regular lasagna, knows that it’s going to be good!

Japanese rating from a non-japanese individual on the Yakitori Vegan or NOT:



6 out of 10 chopsticks


Sushi Scale:

4 Carrots, 4 Avocados and 2 Cucumbers

No comments:

Post a Comment