Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Vegan Pizza Day- The Vegan Green Lantern

Saturday was Vegan Pizza Day and I attempted to make a vegan version of Dewey's Green Lantern.  Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as well as I wanted it to but it was ok anyway. 

I started out making my crust, in which I opted to make a wheat crust.  After prepping for the instructed amount of time, I rolled it out and shaped around my pan.  I topped with garlic "butter" and set aside.

Now it was time to start making my goat "cheese" which consisted of pine nuts, lemon juice and several other things that I can't remember at the moment.  I refrigerated that and moved on to making my pesto.  This also consisted of pine nuts and lots of fresh basil from my herb garden and like a distracted individual, I didn't take any pictures of the "cheese" or the pesto.  Nor did I take a picture of the tomato sauce that tasted a little on the sweet side.

Once all my prepping was done, it was time to add the ingredients which include artichoke hearts and mushrooms.  I sauteed the mushrooms first, put a layer of sauce on the crust, drizzled the pesto on top of the sauce, put the artichoke hearts and mushrooms around the pizza and clumped the goat cheese on top.  Once that was complete, I lightly sprinkled some daiya mozzarella.  

I  stuck it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 325 degrees but I should have left it in for at least another 15 minutes.  The crust was a bit chewy and didn't retain the garlic butter coating that I added.  

This pizza was a fail due to what I set out to do was for it to resemble the Green lantern and this did not even come close.  It tasted ok but not my best. 

2 out of 10 artichoke hearts here. 

Fourth of July is tomorrow and I'm grilling out and making a Vegan Dill Dip and a Vegan Spinach Dip inside of cucumber cups.  Should be interesting. 

Stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment