Friday, July 13, 2012

The Vegan Mariachi Beef Pizza from Donato's

Just the name of the pizza makes my taste buds water.  This has to be one of the best pizza in the area and the spice level is just perfect for me.  I had been craving this pizza for quite some time but I didn't want to give in and order one and I really didn't want to eat all that meat.  At this point, I'm pretty much full vegan except an occassional- a very occassional bit of cheese.  Back in the day, I could eat an entire large pizza by myself.  It's just that good.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't have a huge appetite so it's odd for me to be this in love with making food. 

Anyway, this pizza is comprised of thin crust, pizza sauce, spiced beef, roma tomatoes, jalapeno's and mozzarella cheese.  It's a spice delight and they actually give you sour cream packets to put on top to make it more tolerable to eat.  And if you know anything about Donato's, it's toppings are all the way to the edges.  I decided that, on the day that I didn't feel like cooking, that since I was having this amazing craving for this pizza that I would pick up my apron and try to do a veganization.  

I haven't had much luck in replicating a favorite pizza since enjoying my vegan lifestyle so I was a bit apprehensive, but I decided to go for it anyway.

First step was to take my soy crumbles and let them absorb all the spices: Chili Powder, garlic powder,  cayenne pepper and some other spices that I can't quite put together at this time.  I stuck it in the fridge and went on to make my pizza sauce.  I didn't have some of the items that I needed to make the sauce and I didn't have overnight to let it sit.  I wanted this pizza that night!!!  So, I made my own vegan version of my sister-in-law's family pizza sauce recipe.  Instead of the honey, I used agave and instead of parm I used the vegan parm.  I added some fresh herbs from the garden, mixed it all together and let it sit around and soak up the flavors. 

Whilest this was going on, I sliced my roma tomatoes and jalapenos and got ready to prepare the crust.  Now, the crust I didn't feel like actually making so I bought one at the store.  A thin crust that I could still roll out.  I put it on the pan and brushed it with garlic "butter" and set it aside.  Now it was time to take the soy crumbles and spices with a bit of water and heat.  I usually let it simmer for about 15 minutes.  While this was simmering, I sauteed my jalapeno slices to bring out the flavor and spice. 

Now it's time to actually assemble the pizza.  The first thing that I did was to take my sauce and lightly and evenly spread around the entire pizza- crust and all.  Then, I sliced some garlic and spread around on the sauce.  Next was to place roma slices all over the pizza, then the same with the jalapeno slices.  Finally, it's time to put your soy crumbles and it's important that there is very little water left after simmering.  I spooned the soy crumbles on top and throughout and then covered with my daiya mozzarella.  Stuck it in the oven for about 1/2 hour and set my table.  I had picked up some Tofuti Sour Cream to put on top and when it was finished... I had done it!  It tasted very similar to what I had set out to do.  And it's even good cold.  The girlfriend totally loved it and she doesn't even like hot and spicy foods!

This recipe has a 5 roma tomatoes and 5 jalapeno rating!  DELICIOUS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment