Friday, July 13, 2012

The Portabella Mushroom Steak Hoagie and Fries

There is this place that I used to go to that had the best steak hoagies.  Pizza Sauce, Onions, Pickles and smothered in Mozzarella Cheese.  It came with a side of crinkled fries and I just couldn't get enough.  Now that I have gotten away from consuming meat, for the most part, I do not allow myself to indulge in the steak hoagie but that does not mean that I can't try to create something similar. 
That's right!  I tried a Portabella mushroom Steak Hoagie last evening and it wasn't too bad.  Wasn't at all like actual steak but it was pretty good.

I marinated 2 Portabella mushrooms in Worstershire Sauce and Mesquite Liquid Smoke hoping that this would create the illusion of being on the grill.  I added a few shakes of black pepper, a few shakes of garlic powder and salt and a heaping tablespoon of italian herbs.  I let this sit for at least an hour. 

I made my pizza sauce using 6oz can of Tomato Paste, 6 oz can of warm water, vegan parm, agave nectar, fresh basil and oregano and minced garlic.  I set that aside and waited until I was unbelievably hungry. 

First I sauteed the mushrooms in the marinade for about 15 minutes and then I transferred them to a pan and cooked in the oven for about 15 more minutes with the marinade. 

I didn't do anything special to the fries... I went to the store a picked up a pack of oreida frozen crinkles.  I knew it was just going to be me eating so why go large and in charge? 

I toasted my hoagie bun and coated it with Garlic "butter" and began to assemble my hoagie.  First, I put the mushroom slices down, then topped it with pizza sauce and onions; added my pickles and mozzarella and stuck it in the oven for about 15 minutes. 

It was really delicious but would've been better if I would have left out the liquid smoke.  It was a little overpowering and the bun top did get a little too done but...

I plated with a side of fries and ketchup and dug in!

It did not, however, satisfy my steak hoagie craving.


7 out of 10 shrooms on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment