Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thai Curry 'Chicken' with Stir-Fry Veggies and Spring Rolls and Egg Rolls

I know, I know... this is a long time coming but like I said, I've been on some sort of hiatus of late.  I haven't stopped cooking but just stopped posting for a bit.  I would love to be able to just focus all of my attention on cooking, but I do have to have a job.

Moving on...


I decided that I was going to become a little more creative in the kitchen and try some Thai food.  I've never had Thai before so I was curious of what it would taste like and how to actually make it.  It was decided that I was going to do a Thai Curry 'Chicken' with Vegetables and Spring Rolls.  (I love spring rolls)  The egg rolls sort of came along later since I had so many of the ingredients leftover. 

Earlier in the day, I prepared my spring roll mixture.  It consisted of cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, zucchini, cucumber, cilantro, chives, liquid aminos, lime juice and salt and pepper.  Mixed all these together in a large mixing bowl and tried not to eat all of it before I finished my spring rolls.  Spring Rolls are funny because you have to actually disolve the wrapper in warm water to be able to work with it.  So, one by one, I stuffed and rolled these delights.  It was extremely difficult to keep them out of my mouth because they are so yummy.  Instead, I stuck them in the refrigerator to chill out for a bit.  See, now, at this point I was having so much fun rolling the spring rolls that I decided to go ahead and use the egg roll dough that I had in the fridge.  Prepared the same mixture, but heated it up this time.  I rolled the egg rolls and stuck those in the fridge as well. 

For the spring rolls, you scoop a little of the mixture onto the edge of the wrap and then tuck and roll, almost like a burrito.  You have to be careful, though, because these buggers are a little slimy. 

The Egg Rolls were super easy.  You lay the wrapper out, diagonally, and add a little mixture to the center of the wrapper. These, too, you tuck and roll like a burrito.  They fried up wonderfully and were enjoyed by many.  Quick and Easy and a great little appetizer for parties.
Now it was time for dinner.  (yes, a lot of time passed of where I did a lot of stuff around the house but you don't want to know about any of that.)  I had my pan of hot oil ready to go to fry the egg rolls and the spring rolls and was extremely excited that this was all coming together.  I think I may have even did a little jig.  Enter MISTAKE!  Never fry a Spring Roll!  They burned pretty bad, Bob! and I ended up having to throw them away.  Never fear... I had a lot more of the ingredients and decided to do it all again the very next day and they turned out wonderful.  My neighbors are my testers and they were fighting over them.  I'm just glad I had my fill. 

For the Thai Curry 'chicken' and Veggies- The first thing that I did was prepare my ingredients of which consisted of stir-fry veggies and the lightlife 'chicken' strips.  I simmered on low for about an hour added the curry paste a little at a time.  Now, mind you, I have no idea how hot any of this stuff ever is because I've never had it before.  While I was preparing that, I soaked my rice noodles in a bowl of super hot water.  I plated rice noodles covered with the Thai Curry 'Chicken' and Veggies with a spring roll and an Egg Roll. 

It was now time to dive in... Let's just say, I added way too much curry paste.  SUPER SPICY and could barely take but a few bites.  It was delicious, though! 

And as I said, the next day I made another batch of the spring rolls and instead of wasting the entire batch, I decided to try and bake a few of the spring rolls and they turned out well but I truly believe that the spring rolls just need to stay away from any frying or baking.

I will definitely try this again and use a lot less curry paste and I will stay away from any heat source with the spring rolls!

VEGAN YES!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment