Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Vegan Beouf Bourguignon and Mushroom, Spinach Noodle Soup

I've been craving steak lately and so I thought that I would get creative without having to actually give in to that craving and desire.  With a little help from Vegetarian Times I found this lovely recipe for Vegan Beouf Bourguignon created from Julia Child's original recipe.  This particular recipe called for Quorn Chick'n strips (which aren't vegan) but I substituted with Gardein Meatless Tips.

  • 2 Tbs. organic olive oil, divided
  • 2 Tbs. spread, divided
  • 1 ¼ lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 ½ cups)
  • 1 large carrot, diced (½ cup)
  • 1 tsp. fresh or ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 1 ½ cloves garlic, minced (1 ½ tsp.)
  • 1 750-mL bottle Côtes du Rhône or Beaujolais red wine ( I used a Pinot Noir)
  • 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 2 Tbs. tomato paste
  • 1 package Gardein Meatless tips 
  • 1 ½ Tbs. organic unbleached white flour
  • Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
  • sour cream, for garnish

1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil and 1 Tbs. spread in medium saucepan over high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook in oil 3 to 4 minutes, or until they darken but still retain their moisture. Remove from pan, and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add onion, carrot, and thyme; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 10 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add wine, and increase heat to high. Simmer 5 minutes, or until liquid has reduced by half. Stir in broth and tomato paste. Add Quorn tenders and mushrooms with any liquid that has collected; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Combine remaining 1 Tbs. spread and flour with fork. Stir flour mixture into stew. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, if desired; serve garnished with parsley and sour cream.

I served over brown rice and it was delicious and satisfied that steak craving that I was having...

I did catch myself saying.. BON APETIT as I sipped on a glass of Pinot and sunk my fork into this mouth watering dish.  Definitely a healthy version of a not so healthy french masterpiece.  There may be a little birdie flying around my head trying to get me to make the original version and I may not be able to resist, simply because it would have to be absolutely amazing.

All the while I was creating this, I was also creating my Spinach, Mushroom and Onion Noodle Soup.  That simmered for about 3 hours and turned out perfect. 

Needless to say... It was a happy kitchen last night and a happy stomach as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment